our100ways

100Things Challenge

Labels:
The 100 Thing Challenge is my little way to personalize my efforts to fight consumerism.

Goal: By November 12, 2008 I will only have 100 personal things. I will live with only 100 personal things for one full year, until November 12, 2009.

Rules: Remember, this is my 100 Thing Challenge. I get to set the rules and decide when a rule can be stretched or outright broken. Basically I'm going by the spirit of the challenge not the letter of the challenge.

  1. "Personal Things" means things that are entirely or mostly mine. Clearly family-shared and household things (e.g. dining room table, piano, bed, plates, etc.) are not considered a personal thing. Right now my wife and daughters are curious about what I'm up to, but they prefer to observe rather than participate.

  2. Memorabilia - I was going to keep a small box of memorabilia. But it turned out that I don't have much. So I'm ditching this idea and just counting a few things.

  3. Books - Ah, here's the rub. We're avid readers in our home. And even the books I don't read thrice a year look so very attractive as they collect dust on the bookshelves. And many of my books are kind of work related. Strange as it sounds, I have a lot of history books that relate directly or indirectly to consumerism, and thus help me with the 100 Thing Challenge.

  4. A few items are counted in groups. This includes underwear and socks. I'm not keeping a lot of either. We do, though, run a household. The idea of trying to manage laundry with a few pairs of skivvies and socks is both unrealistic and gross.

  5. We are keeping some household tools: hammer, screwdriver, tape measure, etc. Just last week I needed some tools to put up my daughter's gymnastics bar. I'm not using them for anything more than honey-do projects.

  6. I've left myself some cushion in case I receive a gift or two over the next year. But hopefully everyone who might give me a gift knows that they shouldn't! Anyway, once I receive a gift, I have 7 days to figure out what to do with it before it counts toward my 100 Thing Challenge. I figure that should be enough time to either graciously lose it or get rid of some other thing.

  7. Finally, I can get new things. But I have to always remain under 100 things total. And also if I am "replacing" something, I have to get rid of the original thing first before I get the new thing.

REVISED LIST November 12, 2008

  1. NRSV Bible with Prayer Book
  2. ESV Bible (easier to carry around)
  3. Library (my one big exception - books!)
  4. Journal
  5. Mechanical pencil
  6. Ballpoint pen
  7. Wallet
  8. Sunglasses
  9. Watch
  10. iMac
  11. Printer
  12. Cell phone
  13. Headphones
  14. External hard drive
  15. Camera
  16. SD card for camera
  17. Backpack
  18. Tent
  19. Sleeping pad
  20. Stove
  21. Cook set (2 pots, 1 lid, 1 handle)
  22. Spork
  23. Headlamp
  24. Knife
  25. Climbing wall
  26. Climbing shoes
  27. Chalk bag
  28. Mittens
  29. Wool hat
  30. Rain jacket
  31. Rain pants
  32. Thermal shirt
  33. Thermal pants
  34. Garment bag
  35. Suitcase
  36. Travel/work backpack
  37. Home office desk
  38. Desk lamp
  39. Home office chair
  40. File cabinet
  41. Car
  42. Planet Earth DVD
  43. Toothbrush
  44. Razor
  45. T-shirt
  46. T-shirt
  47. T-shirt
  48. T-shirt
  49. T-shirt
  50. T-shirt
  51. T-shirt
  52. Wicking shirt
  53. Running shorts
  54. Running shorts
  55. Board shorts
  56. Shorts
  57. PJ pants
  58. Undershirts (6) - replaced 12/25/08
  59. Underwear (12) - replaced 12/25/08
  60. Suit jacket
  61. Suit pants
  62. Dress pants
  63. Jeans
  64. Jeans
  65. Tie
  66. Dress shirt
  67. Dress shirt
  68. Button-down shirt
  69. Button-down shirt
  70. Button-down shirt
  71. Button-down shirt
  72. Button-down shirt
  73. Button-down shirt
  74. Button-down shirt
  75. Button-down shirt
  76. Button-down shirt
  77. Brown belt
  78. Canvas dresser
  79. Socks (?)
  80. Brown shoes
  81. Running shoes (replaced - old ones went to Goodwill)
  82. Flip flops
  83. hand-me-down Bible
  84. Wedding ring! (forgot that until yesterday)
  85. Moo.com business cards (for guynameddave.com - probably a "business" thing and not a "personal" thing, but they are *so* cool that I feel guilty not counting them)
  86. Sweater
  87. Warm casual jacket
  88. Wicking shirt
  89. Business causal pants
  90. Fleece jacket
  91. Button-down shirt
  92. Water bladder
  93. Laptop

Gone. There has been lots, lots more than this that I've gotten rid of. These are the things I kept track of. But there are a lot more clothes and random items that are no longer in my possession.

  1. Balance board
  2. Yoga mat
  3. Backpack
  4. Self-portrait oil painting
  5. Small Longaberger basket
  6. Campagnolo Croce d'Aune rear derailer
  7. Pens
  8. Shoot horn
  9. Knife
  10. Knife
  11. Broken Sigma flash for Canon (easy fix for gadget person)
  12. Baseball hat
  13. Sweat pants
  14. Crocs
  15. Green wool sweater
  16. Dress pants cords
  17. Dress pants black
  18. Dress pants brown
  19. Jeans
  20. Sport jacket
  21. Mountain Hardware Synchro Jacket
  22. Old J Crew jacket that I love but need to let go
  23. Compass
  24. Rock climbing shoes
  25. Chalk bag
  26. Magnesium fire starter stick
  27. USB headset with microphone
  28. HDD portable
  29. Pewter Gollum
  30. Pewter Beorn
  31. Pewter Hobbit
  32. Harry Potter figurine - want to give it to someone at Portus
  33. Bike trainer - the kind that holds the rear wheel while you peddle furiously in the kitchen, freaking the dog out and bothering the family with all the noise
  34. Backpacker magazine
  35. NEED magazine (just stopped coming)
  36. MacBook G4
  37. Canon 30D
  38. Canon 17-40L lens
  39. Canon 430 flash
  40. Diffuser
  41. Tripod with ball head
  42. Camera bag - includes some lens tissue and duster
  43. Rope - Gave it to my daughter who is enjoying it and using it
  44. Camelback bottle - MISSING - I might replace this.
  45. Sun hat
  46. Nose hair trimmers - whatever. This gadget was more like a torture device. I'm just going to borrow the tiny scissors we have in the bathroom drawer from now on.
  47. Marklin train collection
  48. Woodworking tools - Very sad about this.
  49. Side table drawer - My wife insisted on keeping this as "her" item, but I'm not going to use it.
  50. Hiking boots
  51. Bicycling bib shorts
  52. Award-winning self-portrait oil painting
  53. Button-down shirt
  54. Brown sweatshirt
  55. Button-down shirt
  56. Black belt
  57. Black shoes
  58. Business casual pants
  59. T-shirt
  60. T-shirt
  61. T-shirt
  62. Sport coat
  63. Sport coat
  64. Sleeping bag
  65. Sleeping pad
  66. Need Magazine subscription
By:
http://www.guynameddave.com/100-thing-challenge.html
0 comments:

Post a Comment


Followers - Friends

Thank you for adding to Followers.

Questions (?)

If there's ever anything you'd like to ask, respond to or pass along, drop us a Comment at (AA)Suggestion Area and I'll do what I can to get it done.

How to Sign-In as Followers

1. Click "Follow".
2. Sign in with either Google or Yahoo with your Email.
3. Fill in "Name:_ Photo:_ " Click "Follow this blog" (Publicity). - Upload a picture will take some time, the smaller picture the faster.
4. You'll see this:
"Congratulations, (Your name) - You are now following our100ways"
5. Close

Help (?)

Step 1. If the words are too small, cannot read well, here is how you can do. Hold Ctrl + Roll Mouse Scroll toward Up direction. It will zoom-in and you will able to see a bigger picture on the screen.

Step 2. If its too compact, Press F11 on the keyboard to a wider screen, following by step 1. Press F11 again to resume.

Mouse Scroll

Mouse Scroll
- laptop scroll and mouse scroll.